Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Experimentalist of the Month: Hajime Naruse

Experimentalist of the Month: 

Hajime Naruse
Kyoto University 



1. How did you first get involved with SEN?


I participated in the first SEN meeting and since then I have been

involved with SEN.

2. What different types of experiments have you worked with?


I have worked with experiments of self-accelerating turbidity

currents, bedforms formed by turbidity currents in Fr-supercritical
condition, grain-fabric formation using rice grains, and inception
process of submarine channel-levee system.

3. What is a favorite memory of yours in the lab?


In 2007, I was working on a self-accelerating turbidity current

experiment with Octavio Sequeiros at the University of Illinois. We
were very excited about the results and continued until 2 AM on the
last day I stayed at UIUC. After that, we resumed the experiment from
3 o'clock in the morning and I left the United States at 5 o'clock in
the morning. In other words, I had an hour to clean up the apartment.

4. What do you hope SEN will help the experimental community to achieve?


I expect SEN to be a portal that makes it easy to refer experimental

data and methodologies as much as possible. I think that SEN's
important mission is to facilitate communications between researchers.
Also, I would be happy if we could share the way to obtain
experimental materials which may be difficult to find, such as special
types of plastic particles.

No comments:

Post a Comment